Friday, November 12, 2010

Writing about Red Lights

I’m usually nervous the night before a GA shift. I never know what will happen. Today’s went thanks in part to a big bowl of oatmeal and my thermos of coffee.

Around 9 a.m., I took a story about MoDOT’s plan to stop approving new red light cameras with the intention to study the hot issue.

When I first read the AP story and the St. Louis Post Dispatch’s original, I took notes on details and possible sources. Thinking about localizing the issue, I started doing homework on the Missourian’s website. I also went to MoDOT’s website and the city of Columbia’s to make a list of possible sources.

The city government must be exceptional about access. A page about red light cameras featured a media package from 2009, when the program began. I printed a page, with contacts listed, directly from the site.

I also wrote down some names of citizens –camera protesters from a year ago- who were mentioned in an article. The issue seemed to be the blur between cameras as a cash cow and public safety. To look into the cash side, I made my first phone call to the municipal court clerk’s office for some statistics. Shara, the clerk, was very helpful. Before I called I wrote down what data I was interested in, and it certainly helped us exchange questions and information.

Next I started trying to get in touch with some officials. Shara said that police dept. had some stats that I wanted. I first called Jessie Haden who was out of the office till Monday. When I called Jill Weinke, she asked me to e-mail her questions. I sent her an e-mail at about 11:30. Around 4 p.m. she e-mailed me back saying she forwarded my questions to Jessie. Jessie e-mailed Moday.

Getting in touch with Kevin Keith, the director of MoDOT, I simply called the MoDOT office, as there was no direct contact number for him that I could find. After one transfer I was told he was on the road. Leaving a message with a person in that office, I was very happy when he called me back around 11:00.

From 12:00 to 1:00 I went home for lunch, as I’ve learned most offices do the same.

Around 1:30 I left a message with Tony St. Romaine’s office, as he was out. A person in that office recommended him over Bill Watkins for a source of red light cameras.
Tony gave me some really interesting information that localized the story. MoDOT’s pause is actually affecting a local project. After speaking with Tony for a long time, I felt really good about starting to write. I tried calling some camera opponents but couldn’t find any numbers in the phone book and deadline was getting near at 3:00.
The hardest part about writing for me was organizing issues. There is the issue of the red lights themselves, the pause, and finally local side. To settle this I spent about an hour writing what I knew and rearranging as I wrote. I’m very happy with final piece. I wish could have had fewer typos for my editor. This what I’ll have to try to improve on next time I’m writing on deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment