Friday, December 3, 2010

Writing about transit ridership

COLUMBIA — Reading a city a council agenda over coffee early in the morning is a great way to find news. That is to say discover news, as opposed to my coffee to the tune of the New York Times – reading news.
Thus did I start my day with six story ideas: a vote on dirt piles, allocating funds for an AIDS program a few days after World AIDS Day, a vote on TIFs, voting to build the pavilion at the famers markets, accepting funds for the city’s robot bomb squad unit, and a research on an incredible increase in bus ridership.
Doing a little researched I pitched three ideas to my editors, and settled on breaking the story of transit ridership before the council hears the report come Monday night.
I began my work with extensive research and source compiling. The report I read from the agenda pointed me to John Glascock, director of Columbia public works dept. Reading a Missourian article on transit brought up the name Drew Brooks who is the transit supervisor.
Trying to reach these two for perspective on the data got me to Jill Stedem. The spokesperson for the public works dept., I speak with her often. Today she was particularly helpful. After getting her knowledge on the case, she was kind enough to e-mail me some data that was more comprehensive and up to date than the original report I read.
Moreover, as I was trying to reach Drew Brooks through out the day, I at one point found my self transferred to her phone line. After I explained whom I was trying to reach, I learned that she generously called Drew Brooks about my questions.
Perhaps this is way he called me at 4:30, which is late for government office on a Friday.
So, Drew Brooks, who wrote most of the research, explained it quite clearly to me. Thus, did I finally feel confident with my stats, and I was able to explain to graphics – after several revisions- what the data was.
Plus, photo got a great picture of bus. It wasn’t of relevant bus line, but the caption is accurate.
Two things helped me get this story to the desk early. The first is I wrote as I came to know my subject. Before I had a lot of quotes, I had date written out. Second, I wrote specifically or rather selectively. Focusing on a few bus routes, as opposed to whole picture, made a concentrated story and probably more interesting story.

No comments:

Post a Comment